Community Resources

Table of Contents

Emergency Response Telephone Information and Support Lines
Safety and Security Internet Resources for Domestic Violence
Getting a Protection Order Legal Resources
Emergency Cell Phones Ressources Francaises
Counselling and Support for Women Resources in other Languages
Counselling and Support for Men Who Use Abusive Behaviours Tips for covering your tracks if you are experiencing abuse
It's Not Right - Neighbours, Friends and Families for Older Adults  


Contact police and/or ambulance in the case of an emergency when violence has occurred, when there is a life-threatening situation, or when you or others are in imminent danger.

If you live in an area with 9-1-1 emergency service

  • When you dial 9-1-1, your phone call is answered by a professionally trained Emergency Communicator who will connect you to Ambulance, Police or Fire.
  • Remain calm and speak clearly.
  • Identify which emergency service you require. (Ambulance, Police or Fire).
  • Be prepared to answer the following questions:
    • What is the problem?
    • What is your location, address and closest major intersection?
    • What is your name and telephone number?
  • Do not hang up. The Emergency Communicator will dispatch the emergency service you require and may ask you for more information.
  • The 9-1-1 telephone system has an automatic location identification system, which tells the Emergency Communicator your address and telephone number as soon as you make your 9-1-1 call.
  • On a business or office phone, check to see if you need to dial an outside line before dialing 9-1-1.
  • On a cellular phone dial 9-1-1 and tell the Emergency Communicator your exact location, including the city or town.
  • At a pay telephone no money is needed to dial 9-1-1.
  • To access T.T.Y. dial 9-1-1 and press the space bar until a response is received.
  • If you are not able to talk further (as it may alert the abuser or endanger you), leave the phone line open.
  • This feature may not be available with some cell phones; however processes are currently being put in place so that Emergency Communicators can locate calls from most cell phones with greater accuracy.

Internet based 9-1-1 calls

Internet-based phone calls, also known as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), may endanger lives because 9-1-1 calls can potentially be routed to the wrong emergency call centre in a different city or country.

Subscribers to Internet-based phone services should make sure their Internet provider gives access to local 9-1-1 emergency communicators and that the service can display their address information to the local 9-1-1 emergency call centre. Otherwise, emergency communicators will have trouble locating you during an emergency and be delayed from providing the help you need.

If you live in an area where 9-1-1 is NOT available

  • Call the Operator by dialing “O”, tell them it’s an emergency, and ask them to connect you with the nearest police station and/or ambulance service.
  • Memorize or have at hand the direct telephone number of the local police service. These numbers are in the front pages of phone books. Dial the police yourself and tell them it is an emergency.

When you have immediate concerns about safety, call the police

Back to top


Emergency Women’s Shelters

Women's shelters provide safe emergency shelter, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including all meals, emergency clothing and personal needs. Women experiencing abuse and their children can stay in a shelter. Most cities and towns, and many rural areas, have women’s shelters. Shelters will help women find transportation or pay for a taxi to get to the shelter. Women and their children do not have to pay to stay in a shelter.

If a woman does not speak English, shelters use interpretation services and some shelters have multi-lingual staff. Most shelters can accommodate women with physical disabilities.

Women can continue to work while they are in a shelter and children can continue to attend school. Shelters offer a variety of programs for women. Some shelters also have programs for children.

The length of time that women and their children can stay in a shelter varies according to the needs of the woman and the resources of the shelter. Shelters will work with women to help them find safe accommodation after they leave. Women can return to a shelter more than once if they need to.

Most shelters cannot accept pets, but many shelters will help women find a safe temporary home for their pets. Shelters work in collaboration with the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA) to provide temporary housing and care for the pets of women who wish to leave an abusive partner. Women must contact a women’s shelter directly to make arrangements with the Safety for Pets program.

Finding a shelter

The telephone number for your local shelter will be listed in the front pages of the telephone directory under emergency services.

The Assaulted Women’s Helpline can give you phone numbers, addresses and information about your local women’s shelter. Call 1-866-863-0511 or TTY 1.866.863.7868.

You can find information about local shelters in the Victim Services Directory.

Shelter Safe is an online resource to help women and their children seeking safety from violence and abuse. The clickable map will serve as a fast resource to connect women with the nearest shelter that can offer safety, hope and support.

SafePet Program

Many women at risk of abuse are reluctant to leave their abusive partners and seek help at a women’s shelter if it means leaving their beloved pet behind with the abuser. The Ontario veterinary Medical Associations SafePet Program is dedicated to assisting women in leaving abusive partners by providing temporary housing and care for their pets. Ask your local veterinary or women’s shelter about the program or see more information online at


In addition to responding to emergencies, your local police service may be able to assist you to prevent a violent incident. Police can provide advice on protective orders (peace bonds and restraining orders), safety planning, and referral to additional services. They can also help you to identify breaches of the criminal code.

If you report a domestic assault to the police, they are obliged to lay a charge.

Threat assessment

Threat assessment refers to the formal use of tools and professional judgment to assess the likelihood that intimate partner violence will be repeated and will escalate. If you suspect that you are in a high risk situation, your local police service may be able to conduct a threat assessment that can serve as the foundation of a safety plan.

Safety planning

Safety Planning is the development of an individualized plan for intimate partners who are abused to reduce the risks that they and their children face. These plans include strategies to reduce the risk of physical violence or other harm caused by the abuser. They also include strategies to maintain basic human needs such as income, housing, healthcare, food, child care and education for the children. The particulars of each plan vary depending on the woman’s unique situation – whether she is living with the abuser, separated from the abuser, plans to leave the abuser, plans to stay with the abuser as well as what resources are available to her. A safety plan might focus on some or all of these aspects of an abused employee’s life:

  • Home
  • Work
  • Traveling
  • Children – daycare/school
  • Court orders
  • Communication

It is important to remember that safety plans will change as life circumstances change and they should be reviewed and revised when things change to ensure ongoing safety and effective management of risk.

Training and expertise is needed to be able to provide comprehensive, effective and sensitive safety planning for victims/survivors of domestic violence, their children and co-workers. Women’s Shelter workers and Police officers are trained to provide good safety planning. The best safety planning happens face-to-face with an expert like this.

However, sometimes a person experiencing abuse may not be ready to talk about safety planning with someone yet. In this case she can get help from her local women’s shelter or the Assaulted Women’s Helpline 1-866-863-0511 or TTY 1.866.863.7868. They will provide her with confidential assistance.

She can also find resources on the internet that can help her to develop a safety plan at Neighbours, Friends and Families.

Back to top


If your employee fears for her safety or the safety of her children, she can get a protection order against the abuser. A protection order outlines certain conditions that the abuser must follow to keep your employee and her children safe, such as stating that her partner or ex-partner can have no direct or indirect contact with her and/or your children.

Usually the partner or ex-partner will be told to stay away from the place where she lives and works. This includes no phone calls, letters, or messages through relatives or friends or co-workers. There are two main types of protection orders - Restraining Orders and Peace Bonds.

What are the differences between a restraining order and a peace bond?

Restraining Order

Peace Bond

Set out in Family Court with a Judge

Set out in Criminal Court with a Justice of the Peace (JP)

Doesn’t cover threats to or actual damage of property

Considers threats to or acts that damage your property, as well as personal threats and acts of violence to you or family members

Length varies: usually lasts for several months; but, could also be for only a few days or could be a permanent order depending on the Judge’s ruling

Can last up to 12 months but needs to be renewed after one year

You must have a family connection (married; living together, currently or in the past)

Can be applied to anyone, including someone you have had a dating relationship with

You can apply for a Restraining Order without a lawyer; but this is not recommended.

You do not need a lawyer to apply for a Peace Bond. You can go to the police and they will apply for you and the Crown Counsel (a lawyer employed by the government) will handle your case in court. You can also apply directly to the Justice of the Peace.

There is no cost for applying for a Restraining Order but you will need to pay lawyer fees

There is no cost for applying for a Peace Bond

If the Restraining Order is broken, the abuser will be charged with a provincial offence and he will go to criminal court to deal with the new charge.

A Peace Bond is not a criminal offence but breaking the order can result in a criminal charge.

How to get a Restraining Order

Usually an application for a restraining order is given during a larger court proceeding in Family Court, like child custody or divorce proceedings; but someone can apply for just a restraining order. The process of applying for a restraining order may take many months. It requires a formal submission and a hearing where evidence is shown and both people can present their side to the judge.

The Judge must believe that the fear of the person requesting the order is reasonable. S/he will ask for evidence that supports the request for a restraining order. Acceptable evidence would include:

  • A documented account of every time the person has stalked or threatened you,
  • Hospital records, pictures, emails, text messages, phone messages,
  • If it applies, any evidence that he has hurt the children.

If someone is in an extremely urgent and dangerous situation, they can receive an ex parte Restraining Order. The Judge can give the order right away once s/he is convinced that the fear is reasonable. This type of Restraining Order usually lasts between 24 hours and one week during which the partner or ex-partner will be contacted. The person with the restraining order and the partner or ex-partner will have to appear in court to state their claims to the Judge. If the Judge believes that there are still serious safety concerns, the ex parte order can be replaced with a regular Restraining Order.

For more information see: A Self-Help Guide: How to make an application for a restraining order,produced by Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General, 2009. This guide is meant to help people who are experiencing violence in their families to apply for a restraining order through the family court.

How to get a Peace Bond

Someone can get a Peace Bond by calling your local police and telling them that they need a Peace Bond or going directly to a Justice of the Peace (JP) at the provincial court. If the JP feels that the concerns are valid, s/he will issue a summons for the partner or ex-partner to appear in court at a certain date. At this court date, the person applying for the Peace Bond and the partner or ex-partner will make their claims to the JP. The person applying for the Peace Bond should have evidence that supports their claims such as:

  • A documented account of every time the person has stalked or threatened them
  • Hospital records, pictures, emails, text messages, phone messages;
  • If it applies, any evidence that he has hurt the children,
  • A documented account of every time the (ex)partner damaged or threatened to damage property (take pictures, if possible).

If the JP believes that the fear is reasonable, s/he will issue a Peace Bond that can last for one year.

Protection Orders can be difficult to enforce if:

  • Police are reluctant to enforce the order
  • There have been past unreported breaches
  • There are conflicts with Bail Orders or other Protection Orders
  • The Order has unclear wording or no enforcement clause

Here are some strategies to help enforce these orders:

  • Have a copy of the order at the workplace
  • Never allow the partner or ex-partner to contact your employee at the workplace,
  • Always report and document breaches
  • If you feel the police do not respond appropriately to a breach of the order, talk to the supervisor.

See more information on Peace Bonds, produced by Canadian Resource Centre for Victims of Crime.

For more information on threat assessment, see the Make It Our Business Suggested Guidelines for Threat Assessment and Risk Management in the Workplace.

Back to top


SupportLink is a joint initiative of the Ministry of the Attorney General, Rogers AT+T Wireless, and Ericsson Canada. The program provides comprehensive safety planning, follow-up telephone contact and where appropriate, a wireless cell phone, pre-programmed to dial 9-1-1 in an emergency situation.

SupportLink wireless cell phones are issued to victims, both female and male, 18 years of age and older, who are at high risk of personal danger because of:

  • Domestic Violence
  • Sexual Assault
  • Criminal Harassment/ Stalking

Contact SupportLink at 1 (866) 680-9972 or get a client referral to the SupportLink Program from various community services, including the police, sexual assault centres, shelters or other agencies that assist individuals who are at risk of personal violence.

Back to top


Women’s Shelters

Women’s shelters provide counselling services. Most offer both one-to-one and group counselling for residents, with follow-up support for ex-residents. Women’s Shelters also have Transitional Support Programs that assist ex-residents and non-residents in the community to identify and connect with the kinds of support and services required to establish violence and abuse-free lives for themselves and their children.

To find your local Women’s Shelter call the Assaulted Women’s Helpline at 1-866-863-0511 / 1-866-863-7868 (TTY).

Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Care and Treatment Centres

Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Treatment Centres provide 24-hour emergency medical and nursing care to women, men and children who have recently been victims of sexual assault and/or domestic violence. Services include testing for pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, administration of the evidence kit, medical follow-up, crisis intervention for immediate emotional support, and referrals to appropriate community-based agencies.

Find a Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Treatment Centre near you.

Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Centres

Sexual violence is often part of the domestic violence women experience. Sexual Assault and Rape Crisis Centres offer a wide variety of services to victims and survivors of sexual violence. Services include a 24-hour anonymous crisis/support telephone line, individual and group counselling, court, police and hospital accompaniment, information on the legal system, and community referrals. Francophone services are available in designated areas.

To find your local Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Centre call the Assaulted Women’s Helpline at 1-866-863-0511/1-866-863-7868 (TTY) or check The Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres online.

Community counselling agencies

Many communities will have a Family Service Agency that offers inexpensive individual and group counselling services. Some communities will have other community based counselling services that can provide free or inexpensive counselling as well.

To find out what community counselling services are available locally, contact the Assaulted Women’s Helpline at 1-866-863-0511/1-866-863-7868 (TTY).

Health Units

Public Health Units have a Healthy Babies, Health Children program that may be helpful for women with children who have experienced abuse. Family home visitors can help moms and dads who qualify for the Healthy Babies Healthy Children Program to access community resources, provide information about basic parenting, and give emotional support to women who are pregnant and to families with children up to six years of age.

A Family Home Visitor will work with a woman to help her identify goals based on her needs and her family’s needs.

Find the Public Health Unit near you online.

Victim/Witness Assistance Programs

If charges have been laid against the survivor's partner or ex-partner, she can receive help from the Victim/Witness Assistance Program. Police or Crown attorneys refer victims and witnesses to the program. It is offered free of charge in all 54 Ontario court districts. Victim/Witness Assistance Program staff will help your employee understand how the court system works, keep her informed of court dates and explain courtroom procedures. But the *staff is not able to discuss evidence with victims and witnesses.

To find the office nearest you visit the ministry of the Attorney General’s website or call the Victim Support Line at 1 (888) 579–2888.

Family Law Information

Family Law Information Centres assist individual clients, particularly those who are not represented by a lawyer and are entering the court system for the first time. They have been established in most courts that deal with family law matters. Please contact your local court for details of available services. See the listing of FLIC offices throughout Ontario.

Services for Newcomers

If your employee is new to Canada, she may need help to adjust to her new life in Canada as well as help to address domestic violence. Settlement agencies provide services to newcomers to Canada. Settlement agencies are sometimes called immigrant-serving agencies, refugee-serving agencies, or newcomer services. Many settlement agencies have services in many languages and culturally-sensitive services. These services are often free. They are always confidential. You can find the settlement services in your area online.

Back to top


Partner Assault Response Programs

Partner Assault Response (PAR) programs, a component of Ontario’s Domestic Violence Court program, are specialized counselling and educational services offered by community-based agencies to people who have assaulted their partners. Some offenders are ordered to attend the PAR program by the court. PAR programs aim to enhance victim safety and hold offenders accountable for their behaviour.

The 16-week long program gives offenders the opportunity to examine their beliefs and attitudes towards domestic abuse, and to learn non-abusive ways of resolving conflict.

While an offender is in the PAR program, staff offer the victim help with safety planning, referrals to community resources, and information about the offender's progress.

To find the PAR office nearest you, call the Victim Support Line toll-free at 1-888-579-2888.

Back to top


The Assaulted Women’s Helpline at 1-866-863-0511 offers a 24-hour telephone and TTY 1-866-863-7868 crisis line for abused women in Ontario. The service is anonymous and is provided in up to 154 languages. Helpline staff can support you in helping the abused woman or abusive man. They will discuss the warning signs of abuse you have seen and give you practical advice on ways to help. For more information about the services of the Assaulted Women’s Helpline visit

The Senior Safety Line at 1-866-299-1011 is a free, confidential resource for seniors suffering abuse, including physical, mental, sexual, neglect, and financial. The hotline will provide assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in 150 languages.

Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000 is a free service provided by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care that allows Ontario residents to speak to a Registered Nurse with their medical questions any time of the day or night. It's designed to provide quick answers, information and advice. This could be when you're sick or injured but aren't sure if you need to see a doctor or can treat the situation at home. It may also be questions you have about an ongoing or previously diagnosed condition, or general questions about nutrition, sexual health or healthy lifestyles. The service does not replace a doctor's visit for an actual diagnosis or prescription. Telethealth Ontario is not intended to provide emergency support - call 911 to have an ambulance or other emergency response sent out and to get emergency first aid instructions by phone.

The Victim Support Line 1-888-579-2888 is a toll-free information line providing a range of services to victims of crime. Information counsellors connect victims to community services and access to information about how the criminal justice system works.

The Victim Information Service 1-800-518-8817 is a National Parole Board telephone service that provides victims with information on upcoming parole for offenders serving a federal sentence of two years or more. This service also enables victims to provide information to the National Parole Board or update a victim impact statement.

211 Ontario is a free public information service. By dialing 2-1-1, callers are directly connected to certified information and referral specialist, trained to assess each caller's needs, provide accurate information, and advise people about the most appropriate service or program available. In Ontario, 211 telephone service is currently available to residents of Halton Region, Niagara Region, Simcoe County, Windsor-Essex, Thunder Bay and District, Ottawa, Peel Region and Toronto.

Back to top


For the workplace

The U.S. Corporate Alliance to End Partner Violence is a national non-profit organization dedicated to reducing the costs and consequences of partner violence at work - and eliminating it altogether. From policies and programs to legal issues and legislation, CAEPV is a credible source for information, materials and resources for the business community.

Victim Resources

Note: The site formerly known as Shelternet is no longer up. Please refer to the Victim Services Directory at

Child Support Calculators (U.S.A.)  A website that helps you calculate child support payments based on each U.S. State's guidelines. 

Kanawayhitowin is a campaign to address woman abuse in Aboriginal communities across the province of Ontario, Canada. The Kanawayhitowin website has been created to support women experiencing abuse, families, communities and front line workers to better educate themselves with resources and strategies. The campaign engages and unites communities around the seriousness of this issue, and gives hope for the healing of future generations.

METRAC (Metropolitan Action Committee on Violence Against Women and Children) is a not-for-profit, community-based organization that works to prevent and end violence against diverse women, youth, and children. METRAC has three main program areas: Community Safety, Community Justice, and Community Outreach and Education.

Neighbours, Friends and Families Neighbours, Friends and Families is a public education campaign to raise awareness of the signs of woman abuse so that those close to an at-risk woman or an abusive man can help.

Non-Lawyers Guide to Legal Terms A glossary of terms related to aspects of legal processes surrounding separation and divorce. From the various technical terms involved in court proceedings and legal documents to the different child arrangement orders and agreements for which you can apply, this glossary aims to help improve your understanding of complicated legal matters.

Springtide Resources promotes healthy and equal relationships by engaging diverse communities in shared educational strategies designed to prevent violence against women and the effect it has on children. The organization is committed to education – as a critical element of social change; solutions – to violence against women that include everyone; partnership and collaboration – to increase responsibility and community capacity; diversity in governance, staff, volunteers, materials and partnerships; accessibility and accommodation; reciprocity and openness – with clients, volunteers, staff, partners and supporters; innovation – in methodology, tools and content and ethical stewardship of public and private funds.

The Centre for Research & Education on Violence against Women and Children promotes the development of community- centred, action research on violence against women and children. The Centre's role is to facilitate the cooperation of individuals, groups and institutions representing the diversity of the community to pursue research questions and training opportunities to understand and prevent abuse. It serves local, national and international communities by producing useful information and tools to assist in the daily work against violence toward women and children.

The Family Guide to Online Safety is a collection of resources that aims to assist computer users in learning about the potential dangers of online usage.

The National Clearinghouse on Family Violence operated by the Public Health Agency of Canada, is a resource centre for information on violence within relationships of kinship, intimacy, dependency or trust.

The Family Violence Initiative operated by the Department of Justice Canada supports the development and delivery of public legal education and information to the Canadian public on family violence. These activities contribute to the prevention and reduction of family violence. provides easy access to community, social, health and related government services in Ontario. It has a bilingual directory of more than 56,000 agencies and services together on one searchable web site.


We are pleased to the announce the launch of the Canadian Clearinghouse on Cyberstalking web site, a cooperative project between the CRCVC and Victim Assistance Online, funded through the Department of Justice Canada's Victims Fund.

The Clearinghouse is designed as an online resource for: victims of cyberstalking, professionals who work in this field, and interested members of the public.

Please visit: (English) or (en français)

Back to top


Family Law Education for Women has plain language legal information on women’s rights under Ontario family law. It is helpful for women who are you having family difficulties and dealing with issues like divorce, custody or support.

The Ontario Women’s Justice Network promotes an understanding of the law with respect to violence against women, providing accessible legal information to women and their supporters in a manner that reflects the diverse experiences and realities of women.

Working with your Lawyer: A Toolkit for Survivors of Domestic Abuse Produced by the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, in partnership with Pro-Bono Lawyers Ontario, the toolkit provides information for survivors of domestic violence and support workers on how to effectively manage the lawyer-client relationship. The materials are designed specifically for women who are about to - or have just entered - the Family Law process and focus on three common problem areas: Expectations, Communications and Decision Making.

Do you know a woman who is being abused? A Legal Rights Handbook, Produced by CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario),  2009. This handbook provides information on many legal issues faced by women who are abused by their partners.

Criminal and Family Law Produced by Ontario Native Women's Association (ONWA). Written for Aboriginal women, this booklet deals with stalking, assault, and sexual assault. It explains that these kinds of abuse are against the law and describes how the law can help women who experience this kind of abuse.

A Woman's Guide to Custody, Access and Support of Dependent Children, produced by Social Action and Advocacy Committee (SAAC). This 41-page guide gives information about legal issues related to child custody, access, and child support and answers questions that might arise.

Back to top


Fem’aide 1 877 336-2433/ATS 1 866 860-7082

  • Écoute, soutien, information et ressources
  • Confidentiel et gratuit
  • Accessible 24 heures par jour, sept jours par semaine
  • Un seul numéro sans frais pour tout l'Ontario

Voisin-e-s, ami-e-s, et familles est une campagne de sensibilisation du public aux signes avertisseurs de la violence faite aux femmes pour permettre aux proches d'une femme qui risque d'en être victime ou d'un homme violent, d'apporter leur aide.

Action ontarienne contre la violence faites aux femmes (AOCVF), fondée en 1988 par les intervenantes de première ligne qui avaient identifié le besoin d’un organisme provincial, est un regroupement d'organismes qui travaillent à défaire l'oppression vécue par les femmes. AOcVF prône l'action par la coopération afin de mieux répondre aux besoins des femmes francophones de l'Ontario, dans leur diversité. Cette action est basée sur une analyse féministe de la situation sociale et communautaire.

Femmes Ontariennes et droits de la Famille offre des renseignements juridiques en langage clair.

Ordonnance de ne pas faire - Guide d’auto-assistance: Comment présenter une requête en vue d’obtenir une ordonnance de ne pas faire L’objet du guide est d’aider les victimes de violence familiale à présenter une requête à la cour de la famille en vue d’obtenir une ordonnance de ne pas faire. Le guide s’adresse à toutes les personnes qui présentent une telle requête, mais plus particulièrement à celles qui n’ont pas d’avocat.

Connaissez-vous une femme victime de violence ? Manuel sur les droits que reconnaît la loi Cette publication fournit de l’information sur de nombreuses questions juridiques qui touchent les femmes vivant une relation de violence. Elle renseigne ces femmes sur, notamment, l’adoption d’une stratégie de sécurité, la façon de se préparer à quitter leur partenaire, le processus criminel et le procès, les droits des femmes sous le régime du droit de la famille, et les ressources juridiques et communautaires offertes en Ontario.

Back to top


Family Law Education for Women has the following plain language legal resources in 14 languages and in multiple formats:

Family Law Topics

  • Alternative Dispute Resolution
  • Child Custody and Access
  • Child Protection and Family Law
  • Child Support
  • Criminal and Family Law
  • Domestic Contracts
  • Family Law Arbitration
  • Finding Help with Family Law Problem
  • How Property is Divided in Family Law
  • Immigrant, Refugee, and Non-Status women
  • Marriage and Divorce
  • Spousal Support

Specialized Materials

  • Aboriginal Women
  • Francophone Women
  • Immigrant Domestic Caregivers & Workers
  • Jewish Women
  • Muslim Women
  • Women of Christian Faiths
  • Women with Disabilities and Deaf Women

The Family Violence Initiative of the Department of Justice Canada has the following resources in languages other than English and French:

  • Abuse Is Wrong in Any Language is available in 14 languages and in Braille.
  • Abuse is Wrong in Any Culture is published in 3 Inuit dialect.
  • Stalking is a crime called criminal harassment is available in 3 languages.

Neighbours, Friends and Families has the following resources in 16 languages other than English and French:


  • How You Can Identify and Help Women At Risk Of Abuse
  • Safety Planning for Women Who Are Abused
  • How To Talk to Men Who Are Abusive

Safety Cards:

  • How You Can Identify and Help Women At Risk Of Abuse
  • Safety Planning for Women Who Are Abused

These brochures and safety cards can be downloaded here:

Please contact if you have questions about the brochures.

Back to top


If you are a survivor of violence, you may put yourself at risk if your abuser is able to “track” your computer use of the internet or email, if they identify the last telephone number you called, if they receive or access your voice mail or text messages, or if they can check your telephone bill for phone numbers called.

For safe computer use:

  • Do a Web search on “cover your tracks” or “cyberstalking”.
  • Check internet resources specific for victims of domestic violence and follow their instructions on internet and email safety, for example:
    • The Assaulted Women’s Helpline provides detailed instructions on “Erasing Your Tracks”, see
    • Find and use a computer at a public library, an internet café, at the home of a trusted friend, a shelter for women, school, other community resources, or at work.
    • Use an email password that your abuser will not know or be able to guess.  Do not write down your password.

We are pleased to the announce the launch of the Canadian Clearinghouse on Cyberstalking web site, a cooperative project between the CRCVC and Victim Assistance Online, funded through the Department of Justice Canada's Victims Fund.
The Clearinghouse is designed as an online resource for: victims of cyberstalking, professionals who work in this field, and interested members of the public. Please visit: (English) or (
en français)

For safe telephone use:

  • Change your access code for phone messages if your abuser knows the code used.  Do not write down your access code.
  • Find and use a public telephone, or use a secure telephone at work or of a trusted friend.
  • Have a trusted friend or co-worker receive telephone messages for you (for example, if you are receiving calls from a lawyer, local shelter, police, etc.)
  • When people are leaving you voice or text messages, ask them to be careful and to not identify the nature of the call or service (e.g.:  that they are phoning with information about protective orders or safety planning, or confirming an appointment with a lawyer or the Crown Attorney, etc.)

Back to top